Thursday, 30 January 2014

Telford - Archery Indoor Championship Day Two

Saturday 25 January 2014 - Day Two

8.00am – It’s early and Richard Parker, James and Jeff should be on the line getting in their 4 sighter rounds.  I am still asleep so miss most of their arrows.

I only get a chance to see Richard during the second half of the shoot.  Seems fatigue and timing has hit the silver fox (his own words).  It’s not going well.

10.00am – After nice hot bath and a filling breakfast I am ready for my turn on the line.  Ceri is curious about how I will do (it’s her first time seeing me shoot arrows and is rightly intrigued by the kit). 

10.30am – 18 arrows on the practice range and my kit is inspected by the judges.  All is good.  Time to control my nerves for the qualification round

A few 2020 members pop over to wish me luck.  I’m now a nervous wreck.

12.00pm – Here goes nothing.  I’ve got my bib and number attached to my quiver and ready to take names and shoot arrows.

                                      Boy I’ve got my anchor sorted!

I’m shooting next to Josh from Scotland and someone who is waaaay too young to be left alone with a pointy stick (little did I know …).  Josh takes up the paper scoring duties and I get to play with the electronic scoring device.  My first shot strangely feels natural and hits the target.  Maybe it’s all gonna be alright on the night ….?

28 arrows in and I’m feeling pretty good.  I haven’t missed yet.  I’m on target to beating my PB and maybe beat Roger!  I’ve got plenty of water and chocs in my belt and nerves don’t seem to be an issue.  I’ve got Ceri and Sarah cheering me on.  What else could does a man need?  Refocus, arrow 29 is ready to fly.

I adopt the freedom stance (my own name for my rather wide stance).
Arrow 29 is nocked and lined up.
I draw back and take aim ….
MISS!!

I don’t believe it.  My first miss!  Calm down and reset for arrow 30. 

I adopt the freedom stance again …
Arrow 30 is nocked and lined up…
I draw back and take aim ….
HIT!

Phew.  I can live with one miss.  So I end 30 arrows with 245.  That’s higher than I have ever shot.  With a bit of luck I might be able to nudged 500!

5.30pm – 30 arrows later and it’s over.  I don’t bother looking at my final score.  I know I missed 6 times.  I haven’t performed as well as I had hoped.  But that’s the reason I’m here. Where else will I get the opportunity to learn what it’s really like on the world archery stage?  Today has shown me that endurance also plays a key part in your performance.  I need to be able to last more than 2 hours and where necessary adapt my shooting when things go wrong.  Lessons identified.  Lessons learnt.

So it’s back to my room for a shower to relax and then drinks at the bar in the Holiday Inn.  The silver fox with James and Jeff in tow turn up for a few drinks too.  Eventually the whole gang is in the bar chatting about the day’s events and archery.  Somewhere in the conversation we learn that Brady Elllison has been knocked out of the competition and ranks 5th in the final scores.  That’s a bit scary given he’s just set a new world record with 593 in the qualification round.  But that’s not of importance now.  We’re all a bit dejected and down after realizing that not a single 2020 member shot within their abilities. 

9.00pm – A quick trip back to the Interantional Centre through the cold night leaves us in shock.  The men’s recurve second chance shoot is tomorrow morning at 7.30am!  OMG!  That’s the final smack in the face.  Someone has a rather dark sense of humour in ArcherGB and Telford. 


10.30pm – Well that’s an early night I guess.  See you all at 6am!

No comments:

Post a Comment