Thursday 30 January 2014

Telford - Archery Indoor Championship Day Three

Sunday 27th January 2014 - Day Three

6.00am There is no way in hell anyone should be up at 6am and contemplating shooting arrows.  Even if it is only 15 arrows.  But that is exactly what Im doing.  Having not made the top 32 cut-off for the qualifications round I have automatically been entered into the Second Chance competition. If I can score well with my next 15 arrows I might be in with a chance of getting some of the goodies in the prize fund.

6.30am Ive trudged my way to the main hall thinking of nothing but wanting to go home.  Its early, dark and cold.  Even my beloved Ceri is still snuggled up in bed.  We didnt really see the need for her to be there.  Thisll be over in about 30mins.

OMG!

Entering the main hall I see just about every archer who didnt make the top 32.  I thought this would be a nice quiet affair.  Boy was I wrong.  I might as well make the most of this experience.  Weve all travelled many miles to get here so why waste it?  I guess I better man up and string up!

9.30am Ive shot my last arrow for the competition.  And I must admit, I had more fun shooting in the Second Chance competition that in the qualification round.  Most of the archers were there to have fun.  The targets were unfamiliar (a triangular Vegas three spot with all three targets overlapping) and most shooters didnt really stand a chance (I saw some county champions there).  So the arrows were flying and so were the jokes.  Good times.

Heres me shooting my last arrows.  The guy on my left ended up with no arrows with a full set of vanes.  Hell he was shooting a bareshaft!

9.45am Last chance to support the team.  Karine is still setting up whilst Claire is ready to shoot her first round of sighters.  Karine waves me over and needs a bow stringer.  Shes left her kit bag in the bag area and has only just realized her string is on upside down.  Fortunately, Ive just completed my shoot and have everything on me. One red bow stringer to the rescue!

10.30am Myself, Ceri, Claire and Richard Poole settle down to our last breakfast in Telford.  We chat about our experiences and what is happening in the archery world next week.  Of course I dont miss one final chance to rib Richard about his position on the line between two Olympians.

12.00pm  - Check out and homeward bound. I didnt feel like queuing up and watching the finals.  ArcheryTV will be showing that later on and have better seats than me.

It was a pleasure to come and shoot at Telford.  ArcheryGB came up trumps when they managed to steal the competition and host it in the UK.  Where else will shooters of all ages and abilities get to shoot against the worlds greatest.  I may not have shot at my best but Im not complaining.  Next time (whenever that will be) Ill be back


No comments:

Post a Comment