Monday 10 March 2014

Sutton Bowmen Charity Shoot 2014 and New Kit

Today, myself and Richard (TheAgeingArcher) attended the Sutton Bowmen Charity Shoot.  This year's chosen charity was the Kent Air Ambulance.  There are several archers who shoot at both 2020 and Sutton Bowmen so this comp would also serve as a nice gathering of fellow archers.

As usual we bumped into a familiar judge.  This time it was Mark Davis who we first met at the SCAS shoot last week.  During the day we had a good chat with Mark.  It looks like 2020 is on their radar ... for all the right reasons.

Earlier this week my v-bar and short rods turned up ...

 Riser with new v-bars and short rods and extender


Normally, you would spend several hours/weeks at the range to fine tune the v-bars.  Even with the limited options with the SF Axiom+ v-bars you try to get some range time in with them first before using them in a comp.  Not me!  I couldn't wait so I slapped them on (with Richard's help) and off I went!  Yay!

Whilst waiting for our shooting session to start we tried our hands at the raffle tombola.  I handed over £10.  Its for a good cause.  What I didn't realise was that £10 gets you 50 tickets!  The tickets had been rolled up and inserted into a display board.  All I had to do was pick 50 tickets and unroll them to reveal the number.  Any numbers ending in 0 or 5 got a prize.  I won a handbag, necklace, address book and picture frame.  More Yay!

After the tombola mishap we started looking out for friendly faces:  Richard and Claire were busy shooting their recurves.  I hope I still beat Claire.  We have our own mini rivalry and the current King/Queen of the hill gets bragging rights.  Bryn is shooting his long bow.  Trent is there with his compound.  Neil is marshalling.  And Jason Meehan of CMO .. well he's just shooting the pants and knickers off everyone with his barebow!

It's not long before it's our turn on the line.  I start the session with some average shooting.  Nothing major but no 10s :(  Whilst I tackled the tribulations of rusty skills and lack of range time I struck up onteresting conversations with those on my target and neighbouring targets.  Seems we all shared similar past times other than archery.  Some used to do practical pistol whilst others were former armed forces.  And yet none of them were eager to jump out of a plane like me ... I wonder why.  Still, it does show that archery lets you meet some interesting characters.

  
Dirty compounders ... always holding up the shooting line!

Anyhoo, I eventually settled down into a nice shooting rhythm and routine.  However, it wasn't until near the end of the shoot that I was happy with my shots.

 There's always one that doesn't want to play with the others ... 

 Mine are the thin black arrows.  

By the end of it I managed 531.  That's a good score in my book.  I managed 535 last year when I was shooting 7 sessions a week!  So 531 after a long break and with new kit ... Yeah I'll take that!  Richard set a new competition PB of 554.  Well done!


Richard spotted that we had both altered out setup in some way.  I had new v-bars and he had re-tuned his bow.  None of us had shot or tested our new setups before the comp.  Also bear in mind that I had never shot with v-bars before.  Maybe there is some truth to New Kit Syndrome!

Next competition - Essex County Indoor Championship.



No comments:

Post a Comment