Tuesday 4 February 2014

Get off my face! (Unless you're a silver fox)

Last night saw me sharing a target face with Richard (TheAgeingArcher).  It was fairly busy at 2020 hence the double detail.  Still, it provided the opportunity to watch him in action with all his new gadgets.  Richard recently went back to his fibre-bow and is quickly getting re-acquainted with it.  He's also had a few issues with his new sight.  He had to take a spanner to it in the middle of our last competition.  I think it's behaving itself now.

Good to see some more 2020 club members getting their own bows.  There's nothing quite like owning your own kit.  Unless you have bought unwisely and got yourself a set of limbs that can shoot a redwood down range you're scores should improve considerably.  Also, if you are going down the sighted recurve route I'd recommend a finger sling and long rod.  You won't regret it.

I swear Richard has magnetised his arrows!  He has magnets in his quiver which stop his arrows falling out should he bend over to far.

Mine are the skinny arrows

If you cast your brains back to school science lessons you'll recall that when you pass a metal object through a magnetic field repeatedly you will slowly induce a magnetic field in the object.  Well I think that's what he's done cos the entire night my arrows were falling next to his.  He shoots high, I shoot high.  He shoots left, I shoot left.  Go figure

Richard spent most of the night shooting first which meant I had to negotiate a forest of carbon before my arrows got anywhere near the target face.


I've also abandoned my 'Freedom Stance' for the moment.  One of the judges at the comp last week mentioned my stance was a bit wide and was therefore placing undue pressure on my back leg.  From the above pick you can't really argue with the results.  However, my back was a bit sore by the end of the night.  I'll let you know how it goes for the competition this weekend.

Speaking of competitions Richard, Ray and myself will be attending the Hertfordshire Archery Association Indoor County & Open Championships (HAAIC) this weekend.  The venue looks peachy (Princess Helena College) so whatever happens it should be a fun trip.  Except They are shooting Saturday and I'm shooting Sunday :(

Anyhoo, I'll probably pop into 2020 on Saturday to get a last minute practice before the comp.

No comments:

Post a Comment