Thursday 20 February 2014

I'm Back! St Valentine's and Rome Can't Stop Me!

Hello everybody!

Apologies for the lack of blog entries recently but it's been a hectic 11 days.  So here's a quick update for you all:

Sunday 9th Feb:  Herts Indoor Championship

As already mentioned in the last entry this day was not a good one.  515 from 60 arrows placed me in the bottom half of the archers.  Not a score at all.  You can read about it all here.

The full results can be found here.  Apparently I won some raffle prizes again: A chocolate orange, scented soaps and a bottle opener ...

Monday 10th Feb: Club Shoot at 2020

After the humbling performance the day before I thought a casual session at the club would sort me out.  That was not to be.  With Richard's help we've determined that my nock point is too high and that maybe I need stiffer arrows.  In addition to shooting my normally fletched arrows I also shot my bare shaft arrows.  They were impacting lower than my fletched ones.  We're taking that to mean a higher than usual nock point.  I'm not due in again until Monday 24th but I'll let you know how it goes.

After dropping off Richard at his abode and driving home after the club shoot I sank into my favourite comfy seat at home and breathed a sigh of relief.  Why?  Because it was St Valentine's on Friday and I was due to fly off to Rome with Ceri on Saturday to celebrate her birthday.  Woo hoo!  I figured after all these competitions I could have a breather and look forward to the weekend city break....

Hang on ... St Valentine's ... Friday?  That's 4 days away!  OMG!  Flowers!  Restaurant?!  How on earth have I left it so late to get things organised!  Ceri would not be impressed!  Ok, we can do this.  It's only Monday evening.  That's still plenty of time to get things done.  The following is what every male needs in case he finds himself up a certain body of water with no method of propulsion before St Valentine's Day:


  1. Flowers - I use http://www.interrose.co.uk/  They have never let me down.  Yes they are much pricier but your better half will thank you for them.  Trust me, These roses will hit the spot.
  2. Restaurant - Bugger, I eventually ended up at a sushi restaurant ... more on that to follow.
  3. Gift - It's Ceri's birthday 2 days after St V!  http://www.buyagift.co.uk/ to the rescue!
Phew, my bacon's been saved and Ceri will be impressed ... I hope.

                        Surely Ceri will be impressed by these right?                        

But something is bothering me ... I know I have forgotten something! ... ROME!  What are we doing for Ceri's birthday?  Aargh!  Fortunately, the hotel we were staying at had a very helpful Concierge - Flavia!  With her assistance I was able to book a spa session and dinner at a terrace top restaurant .  This was all arranged via emails and ready by the time we arrived on Saturday.  Fabulous!

Don't forget the restaurant!

So surely that's it.  What else could go wrong?  All I need is for Friday to arrive and I'm off for my first St Val with Ceri and our adventure to Rome ...  It gets better!

Thursday 13th Feb:  Unlucky for some ...

I should have known with today being the 13th that something bad would strike me ...

8.00am ... flat car battery!  I don't know what happened but all I know is that it's not even managing to tick over.  Fortunately I was able to borrow Mum's car and get to work at a reasonable time.  On the way back home I purchased a new battery from Halfords.  

Now, I'm not a car mechanic nor am I one for DIY but I figured with a Haynes manual and a shed load of tools I should be able to do this ... wrong!  Who ever designed the battery connectors is a dark lord and should be struck down with the sword of common sense!  Check here for the forum discussion on how to do this!


The nut that needs to be loosened on the positive terminal is somewhere behind all that mess!  I managed the negative terminal no problem but this bugger ... I eventually had to rely on my good neighbour who is a vehicle mechanic extraordinaire.  Anyway, that didn't get done until Friday afternoon and I was sweating it all the way through cos if my car didn't start then we would have to re-organise the long stay parking arrangements at Stanstead.

Friday 14th Feb: St Valentines Day

5.15pm ... I get the shock of my life when I ring up the restaurant and ask them to move back the booking by 20mins.  The chef has had a big accident and they need to shut early due to lack of cover ... but it's St Val night and you're only telling me this now?  2 hours before my reservation?  Aaaargh!  What am I gonna do!  The panic subsides long enough for me to gather my thoughts and control the fear.  I manage to book another table at another branch for the same time.  At least I know my beloved will get fed tonight.

The Aftermath

Well, Rome and St Val went without a hitch.  Ceri was impressed and I live to tell the tale and continue on this journey of archer perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment